It’s the holidays again. I can’t say they snuck up on me, so much as I procrastinated too long. If, like me, you waited a bit too long to think about gift buying, vodka is a great way to knock it out quick. Here are some ideas:
For a Buddy
Stoli’s been in the spotlight recently for their celebrity ad campaign and social casting call experiment — and recently announced finalists — is an old favorite. With a bite typical of Russian vodkas, Stoli can help take the edge off of a cold holiday night. I’m thinking White Russian.
Tito’s is a great vodka and a great value. Even better, it’s been easy to find recently. We’ve even seen a gift set with a nice embroidered logo. If you can find it, it’s a nice way to make your bottle feel a bit more festive.
For Someone Special
Don’t get me wrong. Pinky is a great vodka, period. That said, Pinky is a great gift for a girlfriend or wife. The subtle flavors from flower esters is sure to catch your better half’s attention if the pink color doesn’t. Pinky’s December cocktail of the month is the Pinky Wonderland (created by Luis A. Sanchez of Nic’s Beverly Hills) and might get your holiday started right:
- Mix two oz of Pinky and 3 oz of apple cider
- Shake and serve over ice
- Top with a splash of soda
- Garnish with 3 thinly sliced apples with crushed pink peppercorn
360 Flavored Vodkas
360 has been branching out with several new flavors this year. It won’t be long before they’re giving Stoli and Smirnoff a run for their money, and that’s fine with us. 360 makes great vodka. The newest flavor that we’ve heard about is 360 Double Chocolate. If you know someone with a sweet tooth (and you have some time on your hands), try a 360 Chocolate Champaign Holiday Punch. Here’s how you make it:
- For the punch, get 2 bottles of 360 Double Chocolate and 2 bottles of champaign.
- For the mold, get a 16 oz jar of Maraschino cherries and 20 chocolate morsals.
- In a round mold, place a layer of of chocolate morsels, then a layer of cherries. Pour 1/2 of the cherry juice in the mold and freeze for two hours. Remove and repeat this step once more to complete the mold.
- In a large punch bold, alternate pouring a bottle of 360 Double Chocolate and a bottle of champaign until the four bottles are gone. Stir carefully.
- Just before serving, add the cherry chocolate ice mold to the punch.
For Someone Really Special
Crystal Head was our favorite vodka of 2009, and we still haven’t tasted anything better. At around $50 per bottle, I only delve into the Crystal Head on special occasions. This year, Crystal Head has introduced a gift set with two skull-shaped sipping glasses. It may strike you as a little goth for the holidays, but this is the bottle of vodka to get for your vodka enthusiast. It’s taste is unbelievable, and the craftsmanship of the bottle and sipping glasses alone almost make it worth the $50 price tag.
We hope these favorites of ours help the procrastinators out there! Be safe this holiday season and drink responsibly. Cheers!